Friday, October 21, 2005

Jobs.....

Why do college students need jobs. Some people get them to pay their bills in their apartments, others get jobs to cover the cost of their education. Still others would just like to have Mad money that they can spend and throw away every month.
Well for the entirety of my college career I have worked for the Premier Electronics retailer Best Buy, and recently over the last two years I have been working an additional job just to make sure that I had an off-campus residence and could travel when I pleased. The problem is that I am tired and for the longest I have felt bad about being tired. I feel that everyone is counting on me... my bosses, my teachers, my advisor, my parents, and my self. I even have my little cousins that lookup to me and they want to be like me. Thats beginning to be a whole lot of pressure.
So over the last couple of weeks I have played the tired game; the one where I am unable to participate in the organizations that I am apart of, as well as not having anytime to enjoy myself and to study... I'm coasting and that is not how I wanted to spend my senior year. So in the next two weeks I will be giving my two week notice for Best Buy. The holiday season is coming and I'm going to spend that time with my friends and family. Two whole weeks in Mobile... with no worries.
So why am I still feeling guilty. I feel bad.. like I shouldn't be doing this. I have money and I can save enough to make sure that my bills are covered for the beginning of the year. Also if I absolutely needed help there are those people around me who could provide... but again I feel that I am letting someone down in my life. But that person is not myself.
I guess Homecoming has really been the last straw for me. I'm a Senior there is absolutely no reason that I shouldn't be enjoying this situation and feeling...
I guess I want to be what I have not been in a very long time and that is just a student. I want to be able to do the things that my counterparts do on a daily basis and have a amounts of quality time that they have. Plus as a student I can't be closing till 11:00 on a week day during the school year.
I'm beyond the wire at this point and I don't think anyone really understands that.
I'm going to focus and pull out a stellar year with my last opportunity. If anyone has a comment on working while being a student please feel free to post in the comments area.

No comments: